Chesterhill House was built in 1870 with the west wing being added in the years between 1893 and 1912. It is in a Tudor-Italianate style and is C listed. It has a number of distinctive architectural features including castellated parapets and a square plan tower. It is situated in a secluded sloping site surrounded by woodland. A feature of the property is the finely constructed oval walled garden to the northwest, which is also listed. The walled garden predates the existing house and intact gardens of this style and age are relatively rare in Scotland.
The original house which stood on this site was home to successive Dundee merchants as Newport on Tay was popular since they could travel to and from their business via a steamer across the Tay. It is thought that the original house may have burned down and Chesterhill House was built to replace it.
Chesterhill House has been uninhabited for some years and is in need of complete renovation. The accommodation, extending to 5300 ft2 (492.37 m2) is laid out over three floors and an attic. Due to the condition of the property, a Home Report is not required.
The current owner has obtained detailed Planning Permission to substantially extend the property. The Permission includes a provision to demolish a section of the house. (Planning Ref. 18/02806/FULL - Pending). Although purchasers may not wish to carry out these alterations, it is good indication of what would be accepted by the Planning department of Fife Council.
The Gate Lodge
The detached traditional two-bedroom Gate Lodge has a driveway and garden ground. It is currently under a Short Assured Tenancy Agreement and can only be viewed externally.
The Coach House
There is a detached Coach House on the site behind the Gate Lodge. It has fallen into considerable disrepair but still offers immense potential.
Chesterhill House is located close to Newport on Tay which is on the southern shore of the Firth of Tay in north east Fife. There is easy access onto the Tay Bridge to Dundee and good access to major road links, including the M90, and the A90. Perth, Aberdeen and Edinburgh are all within comfortable driving distance. There are railway stations at Leuchars and Dundee, with direct services to Aberdeen, Edinburgh and London, including an overnight sleeper service to London. Edinburgh international airport lies approximately 50 miles to the south by road, and the regional airport at Dundee offers direct services to London Stansted.
It is perhaps golf for which Fife is most famous, with numerous top quality courses in a comparatively small area including the world-renowned Old Course at St Andrews, which plays regular host to the Open Championship. The area boasts a number of National Trust for Scotland properties including Balmerino Abbey, Falkland Place, Kellie Castle and Hill of Tarvit.
The local primary school is Newport Primary School, with secondary education at Madras College in St Andrews or Bell Baxter High School in Cupar. Independent schooling is available at St Leonards in St Andrews and The High School of Dundee.