Bell Ingram - serving UK's land and property owners to make the most of their assets
Scottish Land & Estates, Social Media, and the Railway Children
It is fair to say that I like to make connections. I don’t just mean the type of associations that can earn one thedescriptor of being ‘well-connected’ or ‘knowing the right people’. I like to find linkages between things and between people. If I ask you what school you went to, it’s not because I am appraising your background; it’s because I want to know if we might havea friend in common.
Apparently, my enthusiasm for identifying connections is not just useful to my networking but it can also benefit our social media strategy. That’s according to a number of speakers who shared their wisdom on the subject at last week’s Marketing & Online Media Demonstration Day, organised by Scottish Land & Estates (SLE) and hosted by Scone Palace.
The range of viewpoints and experiences was certainly insightful. I was particularly fascinated to hear about the science of engagement and how we all have a healthy chunk of Rodin’s thinker offset with ageneroushelping of caveman guiding our deliberations. I must remember that the next time I submit a tender which I have based solely on logic to a prospective client.
I was delighted to hear that 54% of businesses believe that Facebook is the most important tool in their social media shed as it is quite a favourite of mine. This has, however, left me wondering what the other 46% think and whether I might actually have tomake some new connectionsto find out.
The thing that fascinated me most was Jane Deane’s proposition that print advertising is not dead. Given how much I agonise over every penny of our marketing budget that goes to print advertising, my relief in Jane’s assertion is perhaps expectable.
What I did find surprising was the emphasis that Jane and the other speakers put on the need to focus our marketing efforts on the linkages between our printed communications and digital media tools. I can buy into that. I likelinking things. The logic of it all appeals to my planners brain.
So what connections did I make at the event? Well…
…I did meet acharming lady called Virginia who moved to Scotland aged nine accompanied by her parents and three brothers. Whilst waiting for the tied house they would ultimately live in to become available, the family of five lived in a caravan on the estate. The condensation would run down the walls of the caravan into their beds and their mother would bathe them all in an old tin bath. When trains passed under a nearby bridge, the youngsters followed the example of the Railway Children and waved enthusiastically. They were rewarded with lumps of coal.
After a bit more connecting, I discovered that the estate Virginia’s father was destined to work on is ownedby the family of another Victoria I know who isalso a client of Bell Ingram!
Published on 8th October 2014